In 2009, Sustainable Bolivia implemented a mini grant program to accomplish several goals, including:
- To aid our partner organizations through direct investment
- To provide increased transparency to our volunteers/interns, funders, and greater community
- To make the volunteer/intern experience more valuable and impactful, involving them in the process and implementation of the project
Sustainable Bolivia is committed to investment in projects that will create long term impact. The mini grant system is a key component to supporting this objective. SB has a monthly fund that volunteers can apply for, where we’ve allocated up to $500 in funding for the best projects submitted each month. Each volunteer has the opportunity to apply for a grant between $1 and $500 for their organization. Applications will be made between 1st and 25th of each month. All project applications will be evaluated by the SB staff team at the end of each month and recipients will be notified and money made available within 7-10 days.
Criteria will include:
- Application made by volunteer in collaboration with the organization director
- Quality and clarity of the application
- Identification of a pressing need
- A sustainable solution, i.e. one that will have a lasting impact
- A plan with clear objectives and a defined timeline
- Amount raised by volunteer to match or surpass funding
- Involvement of volunteer in project delivery
- Success of previous projects
- Contingency planning, what will happen if funding is not recieved
- Receipts of all expenditure
- Write up of project
- Photos of project in action
- Small video summary or report on project
- 6 month follow up report
Benefits to the Mini Grant program
There are several benefits to the Mini Grant Program, both to volunteers as well as to partner organisations, including the following:
1. Gain professional skills and experience
- As a volunteer you will have the opportunity to plan and execute a funding application and a crowd funding campaign for your organization.
- Whether your project eventually receives funding from SB or not, you will still be able to set up your crowd funding campaign.
- You will receive training from SB and support to easily set up and receive money from your campaign through our not for profit fundraising platform. Volunteers have been surprised at how successful their campaigns were!
- You will experience first-hand, the challenges for organizations, of finding long term solutions and effective communication when trying to finance them.
2. Better support your organization through combining hard work with a longer term vision
- The success of the application and campaign will depend largely on how well you know your organization and how committed you are to making it happen.
- Longer volunteering stays not only contribute more to an organization but can allow for projects with a longer term vision.
3. Help raise the profile and reputation of your organization
- Your campaign, write up, photos (and video?) will help promote the work of your organization, who are often are without the necessary resources to create content
- This quality content will be useful for your partner organization to promote their work and attract future funding.
4. One of the most transparent international donation systems in the world
- Applications are made by a volunteer working on the ground, in collaboration with their partner organization and this process, including every project is overseen and evaluated by the Sustainable Bolivia team.
- This system ensures 100% of any funding received is going to the designated project and its longer term impact can also be reviewed and reported.
- All documents including signed application and receipts are made public on Sustainable Bolivia´s website.
5. Small scale projects, big impact
- Since 2009, SB has provided over $100,000 of direct support through our mini-grant program!
Mini Grant History
Below you will find a detailed list of all mini grants awarded by Sustainable Bolivia since the program’s inception. Each link provides a brief description of the mini grant and how the funds were allocated. To ensure complete transparency, we have also scanned and attached the original mini grant application with all receipts. Please feel free to click on any of the links below to gain a deeper understanding of the mini grant program and past projects.